PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty.
Developed for those divers who anticipate that in-water problems will have to be sorted out by themselves, the purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognise and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving. Often referred to as a Solo Diving Course, this Course will equip you with the tools necessary to look after yourself. There are two reasons for an experienced diver to take the Self-Reliant diver course:
• To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
• To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.
This course identifies when diving alone may be applicable and the need to compensate for those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment and responsibility. This course is an introduction to self-reliant diving that helps student divers develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary to rely on themselves first, whether or not they are diving with a partner, including:
• The value and application of the buddy system.
• The philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a partner.
• Potential risks of diving alone, and how to manage those risks.
• The value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed.
• Dive planning and gas management.
Prerequisites - You must:
• Be a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
• Have a minimum of 100 logged dives
• Be at least 18 years old
The Course has a recommended Course Hours of 18 hours, includes one theory development session on a Sunday, an optional pool session and has a minimum Open Water Training requirement of three dives over one day on a Sunday at Stoney. We can only take limited numbers on this exciting new course so please contact me at the shop if you are interested.
This course costs £175 and Club Members get their usual 10% discount.
Numbers will be strictly limited so please get touch if you are interested and I can get a schedule agreed to suit everyone.